Monday, February 28, 2011

my romantic Valentine's Day gift

Sorry that I've been gone so long. I seem to write here in spurts, with breaks in between.

Valentine's Day was two weeks ago, and it is also one of our three anniversaries. We were married in San Francisco on Valentine's Day 2004 when Gavin Newsome was mayor and authorized same sex marriages. That marriage was later declared "null and void" by the California Supreme Court, but we married in August 2008 when it was legal. We also celebrate the date of our first date in July 1991.

So David bought me the most romantic Valentine's Day gift that you can imagine... a composter. Yes, that's right, a kitchen scraps composter. You plug it in, add your kitchen scraps, some sawdust pellets (for the "browns" to go along with the kitchen "greens"), the machine turns the stuff every four hours, and it just a few days you have steaming (literally) compost. I had tried worm composting in the past, and I now realize that the environment in the box wasn't right, because all the worms wanted out, and we found them all over the garage - David was not happy about that. I'll report back how the compost turns out. The first batch should be ready soon.

2 comments:

  1. Eh, don't apologize for "absences". We'll be here when you get back. With David and Leo, I'm sure your life is BUSY!

    That sounds like a well cool gift! Personally, I just pile the leaves on the stream bank, and any that don't get washed away in the floods eventually rots. The few kitchen scraps go down the sink pig!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jay. I don't have a convenient stream bank, so we'll see how the compost does.

    ReplyDelete