Monday, May 16, 2011

I'm back

After over 2 months I am finally back. I wasn't planning to take a long break but it just seemed to happen. Work got very busy, family life was busy, you know how it goes.

My son and I took a vacation to visit my parents during his spring break. My dad annoys my husband too much for David to come along. The two of us had a good trip, but I left Leo's favorite bathing suit - the one that is too small - at home and he decided that he didn't want to go to the beach, which is normally one of his favorite places, in the other bathing suit. I got to spend some time with my sister, brother in law and my niece, who is 16 months old. She never got used to me and wouldn't let me hold her. It's also amazing to me how much she looks like my sister. I'm enough older than my sister to remember what she looked like as a kid, and my niece looks like a clone of her. What's really strange is that my niece looked just like her father and not at all like my sister when she was born. Someone commented that it is adaptive for children to look like their fathers at birth - it confirms that the father is indeed the father and strengthens father-child bonds. I guess that I had not thought of it in Darwinian terms like that.

There doesn't seem to be a lot happening in gay and lesbian news lately. Next month there is a hearing in the Prop 8 trial. The pro-Prop 8 side is claiming that Judge Walker was biased because he is gay. I don't think that will work too well. Then several more months until the California Supreme Court considers whether the Prop 8 backers have standing to appeal the district court's decision. I don't think that they do, and California Attorney General Kamala Harris agreed in her amicus brief. I also hope that New York can pass marriage equality legislation. But Rhode Island failed to and seems to be headed toward Domestic Partnerships instead. And Minnesota may have a constitutional amendment to ban marriage equality in 2012. More evidence of why I have never been able to trust a Republican politician.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Sounds like life is normal, which is good. It's too bad David and your dad don't mesh. I know how that is...my dad didn't much like my sister's husband and made it very clear, so our family gathering right before Easter was the first time we'd seen him in 10 years or so.

    So Leo is picky about his bathing suits? Interesting. I loved the water so much you had to hurry to get me into one, or I'd be out the house naked a a jaybird...

    There's a lot of good articles about the judge in CA. Most experts are predicting that the Prop 8 supporters will lose. If he is forced to recuse himself, then no married or divorced judge can rule in family cases, etc...

    And yeah, I'm all over being a Republican. Democratic fiscal policies aside, I'll take them any day.

    Good to see you back!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing Jay. I think that you also follow a blog on wordpress that I found a few days ago, bradrobertben. I'll post about them soon.

    My husband and father are total opposites. It's tough for me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do follow Brad, Robert and Ben. Friended Robert and Ben on FB, and chat occasionally, though it seems Robert nuked his account! Didn't know that was allowed for teens! Anyway, they're great guys, amazingly mature, and an excellent example for all of us.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete