Monday, June 7, 2010

beet follow-up

I cooked the beets last night, actually two recipes, one for the beets and another a stirfry of the beet greens. The beets were OK, not great, but I would eat them again. I think they need something sweeter with them. Maybe something with apples. I stained my hands and the cutting board with them - they really are that red. I thought that food coloring was added to the pickled beets.

The beet greens were another matter. David tried both of them while I was getting my plate, and he didn't say anything but when I sat down I said "So you think that the beets are OK but the greens are bad." He said "Damn, I tried to keep a straight face but you figured it out anyway." Yeah, I've known him for almost 19 years, I can tell. And he was right, the greens were kinda bitter and not much else. But Farm Fresh to You is my idea to get us to eat more vegetables, and so far it's worked.

No progress on the sex talk with Leo. He had two playdates this weekend. I just need to sit down and talk about 'the male cell meeting the female cell and making a baby cell that grows in the female until she either lays and egg or has a baby'. Just not sure how to answer the "How does the male cell and the female cell come together?" question. Just not sure that at six he needs to know that his penis has another function other than urination.

5 comments:

  1. You gotta eat the beet greens with balsamic vinegar and cook them with garlic. Delicious!

    If you're really hard-pressed to get veggies in your family's diet, get a juicer and mix 'em with fruit. You can throw an entire beet in and as long as you add enough of the right fruits, you can't even taste the beet!

    As for the sex talk... yeah, I got nothing. But I agree that six seems a bit early for all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beets... yeah, good luck with that... yuuuck! as far as the sex talk with leo goes, everytime i read your posts about that, im always reminded of a simpsons episode where ralph wiggum walks into the "adult section" at the video store and exclaims... "everybodys hugging!"... six is really young for all the gory details.... maybe wait and see if he brings it up again..

    - cheers... david

    ReplyDelete
  4. Undefined, I stirfried them with onions and canola oil but they weren't so good. I didn't think of balsamic vinegar.

    David, I would rather that Leo know a little bit now, on the 'cells coming together' level than the details of what humans do for now. But I don't want him to learn it from the misinformed neighborhood kid like I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you might try looking at some books, I remember reading "So that's how I was born" when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete