Monday, June 14, 2010

my son is a teabagger

For those of you outside of the United States, you may not be familiar with the teabaggers (and that's a good thing.) They are the most conservative, anti-immigrant, anti-big government (except for the parts that they like, such as Medicare and Social Security), ant-gay, pro oil drilling crazies in the Republican party. The name comes from the Boston tea "party", a rebellion before the American Revolution to British taxation on tea. Yesterday Leo decides that he wants to make tea. He's not allowed to use the stove on his own, so he tells me that he knows another way to make tea. He tells me in great detail of his plans to basically put a tea bag in a glass of water and put the glass near a lamp to heat it up. So he gets a tea bag, a glass with water, and puts the glass on an end table next to a floor lamp. I pointed out that the lamp was too far away (being about 6 feet tall) to warm up the tea, so he drags the lamp a few inches closer. Also the lamp had a compact fluorescent bulb in it, so it won't get hot, but whatever. He drank the tea later and said that it was delicious. By that time he had added some of my leftover sports drink to it.


I think that I have two new followers. Tommy from Australia, whose blog I have enjoyed for a while, and Fred B who I believe followed the blog of the supposed high school hockey player that we now know was a fraud. Welcome to you both.

Leo watched Star Wars yesterday. We've been holding off on letting him watch it - it is violent at times. But it seems that all of his classmates have seen it, and he's even played a Star Wars video game at a friend's house. I watched a little and it's still good over 30 years after it came out.

9 comments:

  1. Cute story. Sometimes my daughter will wake me up to "breakfast in bed". Usually a piece of bread, a few licorice sticks, some peanut butter, a small handful of raisins, and a container of yogurt. Basically whatever a 3 foot tall person can reach in the fridge and pantry. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I a bad person for thinking of a different kind of teabagger?

    Star Wars is awesome, but yes violent, I hope it didn't freak him out too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NewLeaf, yeah that's sweet of your daughter. We're usually up before our son so that's never happened to us.

    Madeleine, what do you mean? I don't know of another kind of teabagger. Can you explain, perhaps with drawings to illustrate? lol.

    Leo didn't seem to be able to follow the plot too well. Maybe it is too much for a six year old. No freak outs though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not teach Leo to make sun tea? No stove involved, just the rays of the sun. Not that I've ever done it, 'cause I hate tea, but I recall my folks doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. that wasn't the teabagger that came to my mind either...

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha I hope you're being sarcastic, and I'd get in trouble for those kind of drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We always seem to have a generational divide in my family. Growing up, we drank nothing but tea at home. Of course, except when I went to Grandmom's house where they were coffee drinkers. (8 o'clock at night? We can put on one more pot of coffee before bed.) They would let me drink coffee with them (milk and sugar with a little coffee in it) at 5am when they got up.

    So I'm a coffee lover and will occasionally have some tea whereas my parents are the reverse.

    Now, I'm told my grandfather was a huge tea drinker but I never saw him drink a cup. Apparently, my father asked for my mom's hand in marriage over a cup of tea and that was the last one he ever had. (My grandfather loved my father like a son so it wasn't he didn't like my dad. I guess it was just the shock.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments everyone. Nobody, I did suggest sun tea but my six year old son, knowing much more than his ignorant father, told me that is not how tea is made, than he knew how to do it. OK, whatever. He's convinced his tea was delicious, so he's happy and that makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading and following the adventures of raising your son. I was afraid your son had gone political (I would NEVER ;-) have thought of the teabagging that Madeleine referenced). Ah maybe he can learn to make sun tea by orchestrated accident? LOL Take care

    FredB

    ReplyDelete