Monday, December 20, 2010

Don't Ask, Don't Tell is ending

As probably everyone in the US has heard, a repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell passed the Senate on Saturday. (It's the law that prevents gays and lesbians from serving in the Armed Forces unless they are never sexually active and never tell anyone their orientation.) That is good news. Now the President will sign it and the process set up to end it will begin. There were a handful of Republicans voting for it - why not, since the majority of Americans supported repeal. It was a bad law from the beginning.

I do have to wonder about the progress over the last two years, in which Democrats had majorities in both houses of Congress and the Presidency. The only positive laws that passed for gays and lesbians were a hate crimes law and the eventual end of DADT. Yes, the President issued an executive order requiring hospitals that accept governmental funds (as almost all do) to permit gays and lesbians to have their partners visit them, but that really isn't much to show for two years. Where was the Employment Non-discrimination Act that prevents employers from firing someone just for being gay or lesbian? Or some type of federal recognition of same sex couples? Or a change in laws to allow Americans to sponsor their partners for immigration? Or some federal law to protect gay and lesbian kids from bullying at school? Maybe I was expecting too much, but I was only hoping for equality, which shouldn't be too much for 21st century America.

3 comments:

  1. While I agree that there is still a lot to do, I think we should be extremely thankful for what progress has been made. It goes without saying that repealing DADT is a major step. I also think the bill regarding hospital visitation rights was another huge step. I don't know how many hospitals in my state granted visitation rights to same-sex partners right before the bill passed, but I know that when I was in high school, you could count the number on one hand. I doubt there were a large number of hospitals that changed their policies on their own since then. I'm sure that Obama's bill made a huge difference to the same-sex couples who live in my state

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Robbie, you're right. I guess that I was hoping for more in two years of Democratic control of Congress and the Presidency, which hasn't happened in over a decade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. baby steps.... happy christmas doc...

    ~ cheers...

    ReplyDelete