Thursday, December 16, 2010

Jabba the Hut

Yesterday morning Leo went to the bathroom during breakfast. After a while, he yelled out "My poo looks like Jabba the Hut!" What do you say in response to that? I said "OK." I asked David and he said that his stock answer in situations that seem to require one but you don't want to say what you really think to Leo is "That's good to know." Since I'm on the subject of 7 year old boys and "poo", I am waiting until Leo can wipe his ass in a normal way after a bowel movement. He either doesn't wipe at all (and I know this because I do the laundry and it is obvious when he takes his underwear off, or because he forgets to flush about half the time) or he uses half a roll of toilet paper and blocks the toilet. I asked a friend with three sons when they become hygienic and she said her oldest did at about 12 when a girl commented that he didn't smell good. His mother had told him the same thing but he ignored her. So I guess that we have about 5 more years.

8 comments:

  1. Have you given him instruction lately on how to do it properly? At 7 he is not too old to have his butt wiped for him. The embarrassment of that plus being shown his soiled underwear would probably trigger a little extra effort from him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Brian, we haven't gone that route. There are so many other issues at this point that wiping his but is not a high priority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to do it, you can't expect him to know how to do it instinctively, he needs instruction. Show him how much paper to use, how to fold it, the right technique to 'open up' for access, how to discard the first attempt, then to check the second to see if he needs a third or more. He just needs help to form the proper habit. It's just a necessary part of being a father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. intresting topic haha. I applied to UC LA Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Riverside, San Diego, and CSU Monterey. I wanted to apply to Davis but they didnt have what i wanted to study and too many ppl i konw go there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Leo isn't wiping, and is stinky as a result, that might have something to do with the other kids not playing with him after school. I agree with Brian that it's a good idea to teach him and as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. three words.. cottonelle moist wipes....

    ~ cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd probably respond along the same lines that you and your husband did

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone. We have shown Leo to proper technique for wiping, several times. We also bought Kan-doo, a moistened wipe for children. But he doesn't use the wipes, preferring toilet paper. The last time I tried to instruct him again he yelled that he knew how to do it and to leave him alone. So we've tried, and I'll try again, but he can be very stubborn about anything that he considers embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete