Sunday, January 30, 2011

comments my son made today, and marmalade

On the way home from some time with his grandparents today, Leo asked David "Is seven odd?" David replied that yes, seven is an odd number. To which Leo replied "Then I'm odd." (since he is seven years old) David's response was "You said it, I didn't." Later he asked David "Do you have a girlfriend?" (If David did we would be having a talk right now!) David said no. We think that one of the older boys on our street was talking about having a girlfriend and Leo is working on the concept in his mind. Then while Leo was showering while David was brushing his teeth, Leo said "I'm stretching my balls. They're tight." Where did that comment come from?

Two weeks ago when I dropped Ethan off at our friends Gareth and Analisa's house to play with their son Alec, Analisa was making orange and lemon marmalade. I was intrigued. She explained briefly how she made it, and it didn't seem hard, although I've never canned anything before. But I'm thinking of giving it a try. I want to watch and help Analisa the next time that she does it. I've checked out a few recipes online, and also some chutney recipes. I realize that making marmalade or chutney seems very domestic, but I guess I'm becoming more domestic as I get older. It's not like I'm out there partying, so why not do interesting things around the house?

4 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm being ageist but I think most seven year olds are pretty cool: it's their older brother's who are frequently odd.

    I made some marmalade last year - but it came from a tin and I only had to add water and sugar!

    Good luck if you try it - the two most difficult things seem to be to get the sweetness right (not too tart and not too sickly - but that so depends on the fruit you use) and to get it to just set and not go like concrete!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo's a trip!

    PS: You might want to take a quick look at your second paragraph and do some editing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHA, it seems your son is being a seven year old! They test the limits, try out all the new words, and are a heck of a lot more precocious these days then we were. Only a couple of episodes of Two and a Half Men will certainly teach him all about balls!

    (Maybe you've already edited the 2nd p, but I can't find anything wrong with it, and I proofread like mad! Perhaps you had never "caned" anything before!)

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lightning Baltimore, I've read the second paragraph over and don't see a misspelling or grammer problem, but I'm not the best about that. Can you show me what the problem is?

    ReplyDelete