Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Happy Birthday to Canada and the US

Happy 143rd "birthday" to Canada and 234th to the US, both belated. Jimmy (the moose icon among my followers) reminded me of Canada Day recently - thanks Jimmy. I hope that your summer job on the railway in the Canadian Rockies is going well.

On the Fourth, Leo, David and I went over to Gareth and Analisa's (the couple that we're closest to) for their traditional barbecue. She was kind enough to grill vegetables for me, so I pigged out on eggplant. I really enjoy eggplant, while as David says "The best that I can say about eggplant in a dish is that it was well hidden." Leo enjoyed playing in their pool with their son Alec, and I enjoyed holding Kaylin, their 11 month old. She thinks that I'm funny when I make faces at her while she is in her mother's arms, but when I hold her she thinks that I'm someone to watch very closely for bad behavior.

On the Fourth I thought about the founding of my country. I visited Philadelphia a few years ago and took the tour to see the buildings and rooms where the Declaration of Independence was signed. It seemed to be a fitting room for our country - relatively small room, not at all ornate with unpainted wood plank floors. I also thought about the gay and lesbian soldiers who have died for a country that doesn't treat them as equals. When is Don't Ask, Don't Tell going to be repealed?


I have a new follower, and as is my custom, I want to welcome Oliver. I don't know anything about you, Oliver, since I didn't see a blog of your own or any biographical information. I invite you to introduce yourself and tell us about you. I've always liked the name Oliver, although Oliver North brought discredit to the name in the 1980s - you might not have even been alive then.

6 comments:

  1. Oops! Forgot to introduce myself before, I'm around your age and live in the Deep South. My common-law husband and I have been together 16.75 years and I'm a programmer/analyst.

    BTW, Oliver does have a blog: Thoughts of a gay teen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hear that train trip across Canada is amazing.

    I've seen the room where teh declaration of idependence was signed a few times. it's really amazing to see. sends shivers down my spine every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good book on DADT from a former soldier's perspective is Reichen Lehmkuhl's "Here's What We'll Say".

    And thanks for the bday wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you read the blogs of your followers?

    - cheers... david

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lightning Baltimore. Thanks for the information on Oliver. How deep in the South, if you don't mind saying. I spend my first 25 years in Georgia.

    Buffguy, I had the same reaction.

    Thanks Madeleine.

    Hi David. I do try to read my followers blogs, but I haven't been good about that lately, sorry. Work and life have kept me really busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, sounds like I arrived in GA probably around when you left. I'm about three weeks shy of living in the Atlanta area for 19 years. I've lived south of the Mason-Dixon my entire life, though. in LA and VA prior to GA. Zoning regulations prevent me from living in any state either north of the Mason-Dixon or whose postal abbreviation does not end in A.

    ReplyDelete