Monday, July 19, 2010

"This car has more blind spots than Helen Keller", and buck fuddy

We're on vacation in San Diego. Very nice town. One of the few that I think "I could live here" when I visit. We're staying in a rented condo just on the border of Hillcrest, the "gayborhood." There are rainbow flags everywhere, and it definitely has a gay vibe. When we were logging into the condo's wifi network, another network that it detected was "buck fuddy." If you don't get the joke email me and I'll explain it.

We were supposed to get a Chevy Cobalt at the rental car company, but they must have been out because they gave us a free "upgrade" to an Impala. I realize that by American standards that may not be a large car, but it seems large to me. (I like small cars and drive a Honda Insight.) David doesn't like it for different reasons. His comment was "This car has more blind spots than Helen Keller." That's what I call a "David-ism", a unique comment that he makes that can be hilarious, or insulting, or often both. He once described a shopping trip with my mother and sister as "the Bataan death march with shopping bags."

We went to Legoland today. As amusement parks go it wasn't too bad. Leo played in a water area with lots of slides and things that shot water. He also enjoyed a ride where the riders on boats shot water out of guns at people walking by, and there were water guns for the people to shoot back. I manned one and made sure to soak any adult on a boat passing by. David thought that I enjoyed it too much, so he filmed it with the camcorder, with comments like "Here's my Buddhist, pacifist vegetarian husband soaking people with a water gun." Leo also enjoyed an enclosed two story game where kids on each level were shooting balls out of cannons at each other. I went in to talk to Leo, and I think every kid in there took aim at me. They must have thought "There's an adult, let's get him."

5 comments:

  1. welcome to my neighborhood... it was gay pride last weekend...

    - cheers... david

    ReplyDelete
  2. do I have a dirty mind if I already mentally flipped those letters? haha I didn't even realize it was the wrong way.

    I always wanted to go to Legoland as a kid... never got the chance. Leo is lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, are you in San Diego? Or are you speaking metaphorically? Your profile says that you like in "conservative California", so I think of the Central Valley.

    Taylor, honestly it seems overrated. And very expensive. The lego Taj Mahal, Mount Rushmore and Eiffel Tower were interesting for a few moments, but not most of the day. You can take yourself one day, or if you have a kid you can take him or her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes... im in san diego... born n raised... it is still reagan country.. maybe not conservative like say fresno or newport beach.. but still.. the county board of supervisors.. all straight white republicans.... the mayor.. republican... the city council... divided-leans republican....
    anyway, welcome to my fair city....

    - cheers.... david

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, it is a nice city. We're in University Heights I believe it's called, near Hillcrest, on Georgia Street. I don't think that I can do urban living, but this is nice. Yeah, San Diego has the reputation as being conservative, but a nice town. And it seems gay supportive. I think your mayor, Jerry Sanders (not sure about the last name) testified in the Prop 8 trial. I talked to an Equality California volunteer at a mall today. Nice place to live.

    ReplyDelete