Monday, July 26, 2010

Leo has lost two teeth

We're back from San Diego. We did all the kid things while we were there - Legoland, Sea World, the zoo, the kids' science museum. We all had a good time.

While we were there, the tooth that had barely been hanging on finally came out, after Leo played with it for what seemed like hours when he should have been asleep. He was a little scared of pulling out his tooth. Once he realized that it really didn't hurt, as we had been telling him for weeks, he pulled the second one out two days later. We did not lie to him and tell him that the Tooth Fairy would give him money if he put it next to his bed, so we gave him $5 for it. I insisted before he was born that I would never lie to a child of mine, so we don't have Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy.


I'm overdue in welcoming my newest follower, Brian. I don't know much about you, Brian, other than that you are "older." Older is relative, since I'm older than many of my followers and some of the people that I follow. I always ask if you want to introduce yourself and tell us about you.


I also wonder if anyone has been in contact with Jon, of The Rainbow Runner. When I tried to check his blog last night I was told that it no longer existed. I'll try again after posting this. I hope that Jon's OK.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a nice trip. How old is Leo? I have mixed feelings about depriving a child of the magic of Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, and the Easter bunny. I know what you mean about not lying to a child, but old as I am I can still remember the nice part of the magic when I was little. There are other areas I don't want to get into where a similar sort of 'magic' is more common, where I was asked to believe in something even more unbelievable, at least for me. And it doesn't stop when childhood ends. I don't dare state it, but it is a three letter word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww damn dude. no tooth fairy or santa or eastern bunny? why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian and Buffguy, I just didn't want to lie to Leo, who is six but will turn 7 soon. My mother in law had a bad Santa experience - all the gifts that she received for Christmas were from Santa, and as a little girl she wondered why her parents didn't love her enough to give her even one gift, while Santa gave her several. We're not religious at all, so explaining Santa would require a religious explanation that I didn't want to have. Yeah Brian, I never believed in god either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny, I've never thought of Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, or the Easter bunny as being in any way having to do with religion. Well, I guess Easter is a religious 'holiday', but when thinking of the bunny I never related it to the religious aspect. It was just a nice, fuzzy creature who brought me good things to eat on a particular morning and who hid eggs for me to find. I still can't think of how the bunny would relate to the religious holiday except by the fact that it occurs on the same date. Maybe it's because I'm not religious.

    Oh yeah, Santa comes on a religious holiday too. Again I never related the two. It was just a coincidental date.

    And I've never thought of the point of view your mother in law had. Considering her Christmas experience, I can understand her thinking. At my house we got presents from our parents, just a few extra from Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian, the Tooth Fairy isn't religious, but why lie about one imaginary being? We do tell Leo not to tell his friends that Santa isn't real if the friend believes. And from what my PhD historian husband tells me, the symbolism of eggs for fertility in the spring predates Christianity in Europe but was incorporated into Christianity later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. santas not real???? youve destroyed me life!!! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. wait, what?
    santa... not real???
    i know the easter bunny is real... he is st. peter... st. peter rabbit... the first pope... (thank you south park)

    - cheers.... david

    ReplyDelete