Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm still here

I've been gone a long time - just got busy with other things.

We were in San Diego last week for vacation. We offered Leo a Disney trip but he preferred to return to San Diego again, mostly to go to Legoland. We stayed in a condo very close to the convention center, so we were there for the end of ComicCon. I noticed people wearing unusual outfits/costumes before I realized what was happening. We did the usual kid things, but didn't go to Sea World this time. I can only take a few days of amusement parks before I overdose on them.

When we rented a car at the airport, we were offered a Hummer. I never thought that I would get in a Hummer, and I didn't. We had reserved a small SUV (David's idea, not mine) but they gave us a huge one instead. What we didn't realize was that the parking space under the condo complex was very small, and getting that boat into the space was difficult to put it mildly. David scraped one door handle the first time that we did it.

We drove up to Orange County to have lunch with a friend of David's in San Juan Capistrano. (She's a liberal Mormon, if that isn't an oxymoron, and refers to entering Orange County as going "behind the orange curtain", a reference to the old Iron Curtain across Europe for those too young to understand.) We toured the old Spanish mission there after lunch. I was surprised by the San Onofre nuclear reactor. I knew that it was along the coast but it's just right there between the beach and I5, where a terrorist with a car or 18 wheeler full of explosives could take it out and spread radioactivity for many miles. And why put a nuclear reactor in an earthquake zone and in a place that could have a tsunami? The disaster in Japan could have happened there.

I'm really angry at Obama and the Democrats for caving to the crazies in the Republican party over the debt limit. Grow a spine and tell the loonies no and then stick to it! I am seriously thinking of joining the Green Party. I actually agree with them more than the Democrats, but after the Ralph Nader debacle in 2000 I feel like a vote for the Greens is a vote taken away from the Democrats, which is essentially the same as voting for a Republican.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, no Seaworld? HAHAHAHAHA
    I'm sure you all had a great time with Leo! Taking kids on vacation is so much fun. I even enjoyed it when we'd go with my younger brothers - they were so happy to be wherever we were that they forgot to be pains in the you-know-what!

    I think I blogged my last rental car experience - it was a lot more "exciting" than yours! (http://jayinva.blogspot.com/2011/01/deeeercrapsplat.html to blow my own horn!)

    I agree about Obama and your whole last paragraph. Ugh, what a wimp.

    Good to hear from you!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Legoland sounds BOMB! The kid's got good taste, must be from his daddies :) The vaca sounds fun but that is an unusual place for a nuclear reactor...

    As for democrats caving to the republicans, if we default on our loans, we are no longer a world super power, China would literally own our asses and we would not be able to borrow anymore. Not just that but the USD would take such a hit this depression would get a whole lot deeper and would probably last way into Leo's adulthood. On top of that the universal currency would no longer be the dollar unless we plan to take the whole world economy with us. As much as it pains me to say... they had to cave in, they truly HAD to. I am just disappointed we have put ourselves into such a position where we have to borrow this much money, we need to start paying off this debt!!!

    ReplyDelete