Friday, August 26, 2011

new glasses...what was I thinking?

First, I want to thank everyone for their kind comments on my last post. I was overdue for being honest with my name.

Every two years I can get a discount on new glasses through work. My last pair has been sliding down my nose when I look down for the past year, and they fall off if my face is sweaty or I bend over in just the wrong way - the glasses seem to fall off most when I'm scooping out the cat box - really gross, I know. So I got my new pair today. I was excited about them, came home wearing them, and Leo's comment when he saw me wearing them was "You look like a fool." They are kinda Harry Potter-ish, tortoise shell colored plastic frames with round lenses. I looked in the mirror after Leo went to bed and realized... I don't really like them. I'm on the small side, and my eyes are closely set, so most glasses are too big for me. The center of my eyes are not at the center of the lenses of most glasses, and this pair is no exception. I dug out the old pair that was my favorite - very small round lenses in a thin wire frame. They look better on me, but two problems with them - they aren't comfortable, and the lenses are too small for my "progressive" lenses since I need bifocals. So should I go for style or comfort in glasses? Which would you choose?

To make the glasses situation worse, Christopher went with me and got new glasses as well. He picked out a nice wire frame very similar to his current glasses. As I was getting my glasses measured and whatever else they do, he changed his mind and picked another pair that are almost identical to mine, although I didn't realize that at the time. Now our glasses are too similar. For some reason I don't think that a gay couple should have nearly identical glasses. It reminds me of the time one Easter when we visited my grandmother and without realizing it were wearing almost identical outfits. We totally freaked out the teenage friend that my much younger cousin brought to that Easter dinner - I don't think the kid had ever seen a gay couple before, and the fact that we were dressed nearly identically seemed to make his head explode - he kept staring at us but would look away if we looked at him.

4 comments:

  1. I think one or the other of you should have Lasik, then it's a non-issue!

    I had Lasik in 2001 and have never looked back.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jay. Was "never looked back" meant to be a pun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, yes?! HAHAHA...I love LASIK. Best thing I've ever done. I went from $300 prescription sunglasses and custom frames for everything (big, wide face) to buying $90 closeout brandname sunglasses from places like Sierra Trading Post. My vision is SOOO much better than it ever was with glasses (and being a caver, it's nice to not have lens fogging up in front of my face just when I'm dropping off the edge of an in-cave rappel or something). Oh, and they can work with bi-focal needs, too, by undercorrecting one eye slightly, and the eyes figure it out. It's worth EVERY PENNY!

    And with the newer methods it is safer, with fewer side effects than ever before. If you're tired of glasses, look into it!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a caver. I read about caving in a National Geographic lately. Sounds fascinating, but maybe not for me.

    ReplyDelete