Thursday, August 25, 2011

who I really am

When I started this blog, most of the other blogs that I read were anonymous. I started by reading the now infamous Mikey blog that turned out to be a hoax. So I didn't include my name. But I have no reason not to put my name out there. I've been out for many years now, so why not?

My first name is Burch. Yeah, I know, a weird name. I was named after my father, who was given the last name of a family friend as his first name. I decided not to include my last name here, not because I'm not out, but because I'm a physician and I don't want my patients who do a Google search on me to find this blog first. This blog is about my personal thoughts and events in my personal life, not my professional life.

My husband's name is Christopher, not the pseudonym David that I gave him. Christopher would prefer to keep our son's name off of the blog, so I'll continue to call him Leo

8 comments:

  1. Hello Burch
    I've been wrestling with this anonymity/pseudonymity issue myself for most of the time I've had my blog, coming close again last weekend to writing this sort of post. In the event, I ended up erring on the side of caution, ostensibly to protect my family, but, if I was to be entirely honest, there's more than a little cowardice involved, too. I'm glad that you've been able to take a step I would very much like to myself.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Simpsons' version of Rush Limbaugh (looks and sounds sort of like him) is named Birch Barlow. Not the same spelling, but... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy, Burch! My real name is also very uncommon . . . John. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One other thing, too. About names. Mine in particular.
    Jay is part of my name. My email is a conglomeration of my initials, and the first two are what my family calls me. Oh, and I'm a third, thus the "triad" structure. But the third has to do with what I am called by everyone else. Names are interesting things!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sammy,
    You will know when/if the time is right to add you name here. It's totally your decision.

    Jay,
    Yes, I have seen the names kids are given now. I commented that most of the names that I grew up with aren't used for Leo's classmates. I never thought Isabelle or Isabella would be popular - it's a common name in my dad's family. And Xavier? Don't like it myself but it's hot now too.

    Joe,
    So I'm being compared to Rush Limbaugh. I can't think of anyone that I have less in common with.

    John,
    You probably weren't teased as a child about your weird name though.

    Max,
    I appreciate all of your comments. When you added your name I was impressed and felt a little guilty that I hadn't yet. So you gave me the nudge that I needed.

    ReplyDelete