Friday, November 11, 2011

Respect for Marriage Act

Yesterday the US Senate's Judiciary Committee approved the Respect for Marriage Act, which will repeal the section of the inappropriately named Defense of Marriage Act that prevents the federal government from recognizing valid same sex marriages. It was a 10 to 8 party line vote in the committee, with the Democrats voting for it and the Republicans opposed. I am proud that Dianne Feinstein of California sponsored the bill. The arguments that the Republicans made were offensive and lame. The bill will probably not come up for a vote in the full Senate, but this is a positive step. I want my government to acknowledge my marriage.

Also in the elections on Tuesday in a state Senate race in Iowa the Democrat won, thus continuing the Democratic control of the chamber. This is important because the majority leader, Mike Gronstal, has promised not to allow the Constitutional amendment to ban marriage equality to come to a vote while he is the majority leader.

On a personal note, my son Leo advanced from level 6 to level 7 in his swim lessons. In this level he will learn the butterfly. I'm proud of his accomplishment, since he now swims better than I do.

I also didn't realize how long it had been since I posted here. I'll try to check in more often.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the news...and it won't pass the Republican controlled House since they apparently put their hand on the constitution and swear to uphold their interpretation of the Bible, instead of the other way around. Unfortunately, here in VA, the Republicans now control the House, the Senate, and the Governor's mansion, and they have pledged NOT to work with anyone - it's their way or no way. God I hate living in a backwater.

    "Rocking the Boat" was an awesome read! It's in my stack to read again!

    And congrats to Leo! Raising a little fish, huh? Good for him!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay.

    Glad that you liked "Rocking the Boat." Christopher thinks that its sequel, "Tipping the Balance" is a better book.

    Leo does love the water.

    I lived in Georgia for my first 25 years and couldn't wait to get away. My parents' Representative in DC is rabidly anti-gay. He writes letters to him on occasion and he sends back polite but wrong responses.

    ReplyDelete