Saturday, May 8, 2010

151 hours of television a month?!

I read a statistic today that really surprised me. The average American watches 151 hours of television a month. That's nearly the equivalent of a full-time job, or five hours every day. It is apparently also an all-time high for television viewing. I really find that hard to believe. And if the average American watches that much, how much extra does this average person have to watch to make up for my total lack of television viewing?

I don't want to say that television is inherently bad, because it isn't. There is good television out there, but not 151 hours a month of it. All things in moderation is a good motto, but 5 hours a day isn't in moderation, in my opinion. How can people watch that much? I'm not home 5 hours daily between getting home from work and going to bed.

I was also surprised that television viewing is at an all-time high. I would have thought that with the internet that people would be watching less and surfing the web, or emailing, or blogging [;-)] more.

I also don't want to sound like I've never watched television, because much of my childhood was spent in front of the television. My mother always worked, so we stayed with my grandmother before we started school and after school each day, and she always had the television on. I watched so many episodes of Gilligan's Island that I know the plots of every show - not something that I'm proud of, but it's an unfortunate reality. My parents are of the age that they can remember the first time that they saw television, and they think that television is great and always have it on. During my childhood every night everyone would sit in the den and watch television until bedtime. At our last visit back to my parents, I would go the talk to them in the evenings only to find that they would be engrossed in television, so after a while I gave up.

I can remember the exact moment that I realized that television wasn't the great invention that my parents thought that it was. I was about 13, and some show that the family watched each week went into syndication and started being shown in the afternoons. I thought 'Oh, that's how shows end up being shown each afternoon.' Then I had the realization 'Does that mean that Gilligan's Island was once watched by adults?! It wasn't a lame comedy made for kids to watch after school?' My television viewing started to drop from that moment on.


*************************************************
A follow-up from an earlier post. The caterpillars are growing very rapidly. They've probably doubled in size since Monday and are starting to spin silk, but not build chrysalises yet.

4 comments:

  1. I think people are surfing the web, etc. with the TV on in the background. I do this with sporting events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dunno.. lots of unemployed folks around today, prolly watch tv cause theyre, well unemployed.... i know i cant function w/o some sort of media distraction, internet, tv, radio, whatever... its like background...
    i prolly listen to hockey games on tv as much as i watch them, i tend to surf the net or chat at the same time... and have you ever really sat down and watched a baseball game? its so slow, methodical, it begs to become background for doing something else....
    - cheers... david

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Joe and David, you both raise a good point that I hadn't considered - that the television may be on but not really watched. It makes sense and would explain much of the 151 hours. Thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, TV is 99% trash. Anyone who disagrees with me would have to defend VH1, MTV or E! before I would be willing to start discussing it. And since they are impossible to defend, I think I've made my point. The only time I watch TV is sports and to watch Modern Family, my one TV vice. Oh, and growing up I was never allowed to have video games and was often locked out of my own home on sunny days. At the time it was annoying, but I am really glad my parents did it.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete