Thursday, May 6, 2010

an oral experience

I had an oral experience last week.

So we're... having the oral experience, and after a while I start to think 'This has been going on for a while. How much longer is this going to take?' A little later I get an answer - "I'm about 75% done." I think 'OK, I can handle another 25%." What seems like much more than 25% of the time later comes an update "I'm about 90% finished." I'm thinking '90%? This is taking a long time. My jaw is getting sore.' Later I hear "OK, I'm done with this part. Why don't you take a break and we'll start again in a while." I think 'OK, my jaw could use a rest.' So we take a break for maybe 10 minutes.

Then we start again, in a new way. An object is held up and I'm asked "What do you think?" What does one say to that - it looks fine? So next it's "I'll slide it in and see how it fits. Oh, perfect fit the first time. What do you think?" I kind of nod and grunt. So more poking and prodding, then squirting some blue liquid in there. After 2 1/2 hours we're finally finished. My jaw was aching and the advice I got was "Take an anti-inflammatory such as motrin. It will help with the pain. And take a flower on your way out." OK, I took a flower as my souvenir.

Can you figure out that kind of oral experience this was? Think about it before you read on. I'm curious about how many figure it out.



******************************************************

So that was my visit to my dentist. One of my teeth had a small crack around an old filling, so she drilled it out and made a ceramic filling. She drilled for 45 minutes, thus the 75% then 90% done. She held up the ceramic filling for me to see before she slid it in, then used some blue adhesive to make it stay. She seems to be a fine dentist, but my husband David refers to her as "Chatty Cathy" since she seems to talk much more than any other dentist I've ever had. During the drilling she and her assistant were talking about the last episodes of Glee and American Idol. Not really what I wanted to hear, but I couldn't participate in the conversation.

10 comments:

  1. hahahahaha. dirty!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew from the start because I'm very familiar with the experience. Dental pain is only second to back pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Buffguy - it wasn't dirty, but my mind sometimes is ;-)

    @Taylor - glad to make you laugh.

    @Sean - yeah, us middle aged guys have fillings older than the young guys here, lol. It didn't really hurt, other than briefly with the anesthetic and one time when she hit a nerve while drilling. I didn't even know that there was a problem with the tooth, the crack was found at a routine cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this one before, but it's still good for a laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My new dentist said to me when I got a recent filling: "Relax don't worry. You mouth is the Sistine Chapel and I'm Michelangelo." lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, because your jaw was getting tired I thought dentist or orthodontist.

    For me it's usually my tongue that gets tired with the other kind of "oral experience."

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Madeleine - yeah, couldn't resist the joke.

    @GayEMTNJ - no one as ever called any part of my body a work of art, so consider that a big compliment.

    @TGD - my husband is unique in that he enjoys giving oral much more than receiving it, so my jaw doesn't get a workout that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately, I think he was bragging about his skill than any compliment of me. But he did do a nice job on the tooth so...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @GayEMTNJ (Ed) - oh, I get it now. He was saying that your mouth was the blank canvas and he was going to create a work of art. Sounds like the guy has an abundance of confidence in himself.

    ReplyDelete