Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Leo released his butterflies...into the stomachs of birds

This morning Leo released his ten butterflies. He was going to release them last night but it was raining. So this morning he opened up the butterfly tent/cage in the front yard, and the butterflies just sat there. So he put his hand inside and coaxed one onto his hand, removed his hand, and eventually the butterfly flew away. He was excited, of course. I had to leave for work before all ten were released, but David sent me this text - "The birds have eaten well this morning. Sigh. I suppose it was inevitable." I emailed him and apparently Leo saw some of it and isn't happy with birds now. I plan to talk with him about animals eating other animals to live. We've talked about this before, but he never saw it in person until now.


I hope that this link works - I can't get links that I try to add to work.
Shit, it still didn't work. I'll try again. http://thislandpress.com/05/25/2010/something-good-is-going-to-happen-to-you/
It's an article by the brother of a friend of David and me. He's the gay grandson of Oral Roberts, the former televangelist. He talks about his family and growing up gay in that family and situation. It's an interesting article. His brother, our friend, is also gay and they have both been rejected by their parents. Really sad - as a parent I can't imagine rejecting your child for any reason.

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, that's so sad about the butterflies :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. circle of life.. but when youre a little kid, it all seems cruel and unfair.. o_0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madeleine and David, yeah, he was upset the day it happened but is better now.

    ReplyDelete