Friday, May 28, 2010

Don't Ask Don't Tell, throwing rocks, extra capacity

Yesterday the US House of Representatives and the Senate Armed Services committee passed bills to end Don't Ask, Don't Tell, the policy that bars gays and lesbians from serving in the military. The bills haven't passed yet, and the compromises in the bills aren't great, but is an important first step. I have no interest in serving in the military, but I do want gays and lesbians to have that opportunity.

Yesterday David cooked Leo a hamburger and Leo became upset that the bread was too soft. David wasn't happy about Leo's complaint, so they were both somewhat upset. Leo then went outside and got into a shouting match with the boy living across the street. He threatened to throw a rock at the other kid, which David overheard. David came outside and told Leo to put his bike up and come inside. A few minutes later David heard the other kid's father in the garage telling Leo to get David. Leo had thrown a rock and hit the other kid on the ear, drawing blood. David was furious with Leo. Leo's now grounded and knows that he's in a lot of trouble. He can't play outside for now, and there will be more conversations this weekend.

David saw his allergist today and had lung function testing done. His lung capacity is 30% above normal, probably due to either his height (6'4") or his years of rowing. When he sent a text to me to let me know, I responded with "I guess you're good at blowing." He accused me of being a perv. I think that if you've got it you should use it ;-) David will start allergy injections again. He tried it a number of years ago but had too many bad reactions so had to stop.

3 comments:

  1. yikes, that sucks about Leo, I hope he learns a valuable lesson.

    and lol @ the blowing joke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you do it. I think I would be too overwhelmed to deal with some of the trials and tribulations of raising a kid.

    Every once in a while, I surprise myself when I have favorite gay uncle to nephew/niece chats and think maybe I wouldn't be as bad as this I thought. Of course, this is usually followed by them playing me like a fiddle for extra snacks / ice cream so perhaps I just take my occasional wins as a babysitter and leave well enough alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madeleine and GayEMTNJ - yeah, being a parent is much tougher than I thought. This morning I was yelled at because I told him than a nearly rock-hard peach wasn't ripe yet even though he wanted to eat it. "It will be soft on the inside" was his response. But he's a good kid, most of the time. Kids are master manipulaters, and can twist around what one parent says to get what they want from the other parent - he tried that this morning but I caught him at it by checking with David.

    ReplyDelete