Friday, April 30, 2010

coxsackie came for a visit

Yesterday my son Leo complained to my husband David that his knees were hurting. Then during school he told his teacher than his stomach was bothering him. When David picked him up from school, he had a hard time walking to the car. David carried him in from the car, and within an hour or so he vomited. Later he looked flushed and was lethargic. He fell asleep on the sofa, and later David carried him to bed. When we checked on him about 8 PM, he was awake and had a rash all over his body, worse on his face and torso. He was scratching all over and looked bad. It's really hard to see your kid sick. I asked how I could help him feel better and he asked me to cuddle him. So I climbed in bed behind him and cuddled up to him. We sent an email to his pediatrician, and she called us back about 9:30 - she's great. I thought as soon as I saw that rash that it was a viral rash or an allergic rash, but he hadn't taken anything that he's allergic to. She thinks that he has Coxsackie virus, which has been going around lately. This morning he's much better, the rash is almost completely gone, and he's back to his usually very energetic self.



I want to thank everyone who offered me and my friends support over the past week. It has been a difficult time, but much less for me than for others, one person especially. He is doing better, and I was very happy to get an email from him yesterday with his sense of humor restored. So thanks again for everyone's support.


I also wanted to say hello to some new followers. I have a relatively new tradition of introducing new followers, or asking them to introduce themselves. First is Taylor, a Canadian pilot who I know was hurt by the Mikey scandal. Then there is Joe in Philly, who I met through Mikey's blog as well. Next is Ed, who I am pretty sure is the same Ed that was GayEMTinNJ from Mikey's blog. Then there is bighairyjockdad, who I don't know by that name but maybe my memory isn't so good. Lastly there is someone without a name or an avatar. Welcome to you all. If any of you want to post something here introducing yourself please do. It's always good if we know something about each other. And if any longer term followers want to introduce themselves or say something, please do.

10 comments:

  1. Hey G&P, forgot fo till out the profile info.. Ooops. Enjoy following you. Take care.

    FredB

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL damn must be drunk (NOT) Forgot to fill out the profile info. LOL FredB

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a worrying time when anyone's suddenly poorly - but especially a younger one.

    I hope some of his favourite things soon have him fit as a fiddle again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coxsackie virus sounds evil. Don't want anything to do with that. A lady at work has two kids and one of them came down with Scarlet Fever. I didn't even know that existed anymore, apparently it is Strep Throat combined with some awful red rash that has to peel off. She told me this Friday and I immediately had to send out my "out of office" mail to the department and fled without looking back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I have no idea why I come up with Autumn Summers now but I will find out. This is Sean from Pinkshanty.blogspot.com. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am now back as Seandmc. Apparently Scott was blogging as a teen girl as a joke that involves a story which is too long to explain and not worth the time. Hopefully Autumn is gone now. Thanks, Sean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sean, if you want to do drag as a teen girl that might be cute. Be sure to post photos though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i seem to have taken a little longer to get here than the other folks from mikey's blog, but i'm jenn. hi there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there, Yep. I'm Ed / GayEMTNJ. I'm a 41 year old guy from NJ. Out and proud for 15 years. (Sounds more like it should be on a business sign or something, lol). Well, that's me for the time being at least. No I'm not changing any thing about my past. I've applied to be accepted into a paramedic training program for fall term. So hopefully, if I get the necessary recommendations and agreement from a sponsoring agency and then pass all of my classes and clinicals, at some point I can upgrade to GayMedicNJ lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you haven't seen United States of Tara yet you should - it is AWESOME! And I'm starting to feel like Tara Gregson

    ReplyDelete