Monday, April 5, 2010

vacatin, day 2

Low energy day on vacation. I went for a run and David went to the YMCA for a workout. When he came back, he asked "If someone looks back at you over his shoulder four times as he's walking to the steam room, is he wanting you to follow him in?" My answer was "Yes, but I'm glad that you didn't!" David's an attractive man, and he gets hit on occasionally.

My parents took Leo to a local park with a lake to feed the ducks. Leo's recovered from his vomiting and is eating normally. We enjoyed the time alone, and spent much of it horizontal, if you understand my meaning ;-) Well, David was horizontal and I was mostly vertical. The walls here are thin, and I'm a moaner, so this was our only chance for privacy.

I am experiencing Southern cooking. I forgot how different it was from what I eat in California. My mother boiled sweet potatoes, which I normally like, but she cooked them until they were mush. Why do Southerners have to cook vegetables until they are a pile of mush? Have they not heard of leaving some crispness in a vegetable?

Since I'm slamming the South, I've got to comment on the accent. My mother made two syllables out of the word "bad" today. "Ba-yad". Grrr. To think that I had a Southern accent until I moved to California and realized 'This makes me sound like a hick' and got rid of it. Now I sometimes don't understand what my own family says. For over a decade they had a neighbor whose name I thought was Von from the way my family pronounced it. Then I saw it in writing and saw that it was Vaughn. That was a shock. When David first met my father, he couldn't understand most of wht my father said. My father has not only a thick Southern accent, but a slight speech impediment also, so I understand David's problem. He said that he just smiled and nodded at times when he spoke with my father. My large, loud Irish Catholic family was also a shock to David compared to his stoic German relatives.

I realize that I'm complaining a lot, but I guess that this is my place to vent. I am having a good time, and I love my family.

I wanted to say hello to some new people reading my blog. Madeleine and Jon have been here a while, and wanderinpom seems to have just joined. Welcome all. I can't find if you have a blog yourself wanderingpom, so introduce yourself or tell us about your blog, if you want. If not, that's fine.

6 comments:

  1. Hi all

    Since green and purple has been kind enough to introduce me, I probably ought to say something.

    I have a profile which explains at least a little about me, and something which might one day become a blog. I find it far easier and more fun to meander around blog-land and comment on other people's posts than to come up with a post of my own, especially that scary first post. If I get really bored it might just happen! Please feel free to send me e-mail - the address is on my profile.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understand southern accents! Hope you have a fun time on vacation, and i am happy you went on a run! nothing is better then the feeling you get after a good run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mark - thanks for responding. I don't know the etiquette here about new followers but thought that I would mention/welcome you.

    @Jon - I've learned that a run the day after traveling is a good way to adjust to a new time zone. Plus it helps keep my sanity as my dad and sister are driving my husband crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, green and purple

    You're welcome. I'm not sure that there's any specific etiquette here for new followers: some people introduce them, some don't. It probably depends a lot on how many you have already.

    I think this may be the first time I've followed a blog without at least simultaneously posting some comments. In this case I commented about your blog on Pardon my Schadenfreude - Edward there talked about raising a child with a future boyfriend or with a future wife, and I thought he might find your blog interesting. Unfortunately my comment there seems to have vanished into the ether :-(

    Anyway, I'm really enjoying your blog - it's an insight into a life quite different from mine - and I look forward to more of it.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Southern accents always amuse me. I love accents actually, especially Australian ones.
    I'm always surprised when an American tells me I have a Canadian accent, because it's really hard for me to hear it.
    Glad you and David managed to have some fun ;)
    Hope the rest of your vacation is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Madeleine - the Canadians that I know mostly come from the Prairie provinces, so that's the Canadian accent that I'm familiar with. To me that accent sounds like a Midwestern US accent. But the "eh", and "ou" sound in "about" and "out" sound Canadian to me.

    @Mark - thank you for the compliment. I'll check out the blog that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete