Saturday, December 26, 2009

a quiet, ill Christmas




We had a quiet but ill Christmas yesterday. David has a sinus infection, confirmed by a CT scan earlier in the week. His ENT is considering another sinus surgery, which would be his third in less than five years, if he doesn't improve. Leo was also ill with a cold, so the three of us didn't go to David's aunt's house for the family Christmas. It was a nice day. Although I missed seeing David's aunt and grandparents, it a good to stay around the house and relax. Leo is the only kid in the family and gets very bored at the family events, so one of us has to entertain him. From my perspective, David's aunt always keeps her house frigidly cold (don't let perimenopausal women control the thermostat). The last Christmas that we spent there I was wearing long underwear, khakis, a button-up shirt, and a sweater, sitting in front of her fake fireplace and was still cold, while she was wearing a short sleeve shirt and complaining about how hot it was.

My mother bought all of us too much again this year. She has always done that. David loves to read, so he received a stack of books that must be over two feet tall. Leo received several games. I spent hours yesterday playing Chutes and Ladders, which is a fun game but after an hour or so an adult gets bored but a six year old doesn't. Luckily Leo is willing to take my turns for me if I have to do something else, so if I don't mind him calling out a play by play of the action ("You got a three. I got a five!"), he can play by himself.

I included photos of my favorite and strangest gifts. My favorite is a ring that David bought for me from the Etsy.com website. It's an artists' site that lets artists display their creations. The ring is silver, stamped "I heart XX (David's initials)" and on the other side "1991", the year that we met and started dating. I wore a ring for many years on my right ring finger, but it broke a while ago and I've wanted a ring to replace it. It's similar to our wedding rings, so now I've got rings from David on both hands. The other photo is my strangest gift, a Pez dispenser in the shape of the character Linguine from the movie Ratatouille. Leo enjoys watching Ratatouille but I've never watched it, other than a little while sitting with Leo. Pez dispensers are a joke gift each year from my mom. I don't remember how it started years ago, but it continues each year. I have a collection of them now under my sink.

I hope everyone out there had a good holiday as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment