Wednesday, December 16, 2009

third post, second time

Saturday at work

I'm at work on Saturday afternoon. I have to work one weekend day a month, so I chose this Saturday. I like to get the weekend work out of the way early in the month - I've always wanted to do something unpleasant early rather than postponing it. Not that work is unpleasant, just not what I want to do with my Saturday.

Last night my office had our annual "holiday party". I used the quotation marks because the reality is that it was a Christmas party, but that term isn't used so that those of us who aren't Christian won't feel left out. I'm not that dumb, I know what the party really was. It wasn't too bad, a little surreal at times. It was at an Italian restaurant, and we were put in the bar section, so there were two large televisions showing a basketball game at each end of the table. There was a woman who's only job seemed to be walking around with a large bowl of cheese and a spoon, who would appear at your elbow when your meal arrived and exclaim "frommagio?" (sorry if my Italian is off) I declined her offer. Being a vegetarian, my choices for the meal were limited to two: linguine with tomato sauce or linguine with tomato sauce and garlic. I chose without garlic but it ended up in there anyway. I don't want to sound too negative, I had an OK time. My coworkers are generally nice people, I just don't have much in common with them other than that we work together.

I have a follower! That's shocking to me. How to people find each other here? I haven't found a search function. Maybe someone (pops zn?) can help me with that. I've read some blogs that I found on other's lists of the blogs that they read. There are a lot of young gay guys dealing with coming out. It's great that this resource is there to help, and people do help each other out - I even read a suicide note from a 13 year old when he came out to his mother and she locked him out of the house. He survived, and she's coming around. I want to help, but coming out was a long time ago for me. The only way that I could be more out is to have a tattoo saying "gay" on my forehead. I always mention my husband and son when conversation leads that way, I have photos of the three of us on my desk, a gay bumper sticker on my car (well, it's a marriage equality bumper sticker, so I could be a straight ally). I haven't found many blogs from others my age. Maybe I'm an "early adapter" if that's the term for a guy in his 40s who uses technology before many my age. I did that with Facebook.

I'm rambling here. I'll see if there is some work to do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment