Thursday, December 17, 2009

running, marriage equality

I went for my usual three times a week run last night. It was not nearly as cold as the last few weeks, 48 F when I got back. I enjoy running. The activity helps me feel energetic, and I think that it helps with stress. I don't feel right when I can't run. I broke a toe a few years ago and really missed it when I couldn't run.

The DC (that's Washington, DC) city council passed a marriage law this week. It should be signed by the mayor soon. Congress can overturn it, but with the Democrats in control probably won't. Nancy Pelosi probably won't let it come up for a vote. Every state that passes marriage equality (that's the term that I prefer - it emphasizes that we only want what everyone else already has) is a big plus. I am hopefully that here in California we can overturn Prop 8 with another proposition in 2012. I am also interested in the challenge to Prop 8 in federal court - that trial starts in less than a month. Another legal challenge is Massachusetts' challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act. I think that if the judges would objectively review that lawsuit without anti-gay bias then DOMA will be declared unconstitutional. I'm trying to do my part to change people's minds and perceptions about gays. I'm as out as I can be, I talk about my husband and son, I have a marriage equality sign in my front yard and on my car. I also want to be out for those who can't be out yet - Poppy, Jeremy, John, Mikey, the baseball guy whose name I can't remember, and others whose blogs I read. I feel very fortunate to have married my husband last year while it was legal to do so in California. Hopefully when you guys are ready to marry your guy it will be legal everywhere. I guess that it already is for you in South Africa, Poppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment