Wednesday, December 16, 2009

second post, second time

proud of my son

I just heard good news about my six year old son. He advanced one level in reading in first grade this week, so his reward is a new book, to encourage more reading. (He has two fathers who are avid readers, so we want to encourage him.) My husband took him to a bookstore and he chose a book that he wanted. But the cover was partly damaged, so my husband suggested that he ask a bookstore worker if they had another. He found a worker, politely explained the situation and asked if they had another book. He was told that they didn't but was offered another copy of the book in a few days or a discount on the damaged book. He consulted with my husband and chose not to wait and to get the damaged book. This may not sound like much, but being assertive with a strange adult, politely explaining the situation, and making a decision about what to do were all good things for him to do. I guess that you have to be a parent to understand.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, green and purple! I just discovered your blog, and am working my way through it. I got this far, and this just struck me as a cool post. I'm not fortunate enough to be a parent, but I spent a lot of time working with the 11-18yo set. I think you and your husband are spot-on in your thinking here. And if you'd like a somewhat light-hearted look at more of this kind of thing, check out http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/. It's not my blog, but it's chock full of ideas for raising kids that are confident, able to tell good people from bad, know how to ask for help, and stand up for themselves! I'll keep reading, this is great stuff! And if it's ok with you, I'll sign on as a follower.
    Jay in VA

    ReplyDelete