Thursday, March 4, 2010

Do I wish that I was a teen? NO!

I've been thinking about teens lately, probably because I've been reading the blogs of several gay teens, including Mikey, Jon, Joe, Tommy, Charlie, Jon, Manu, Arodomon, and Tyler (who I just found today). It brings back memories of that time in my life and how unsettled it was. There are so many opportunities for people that age, but so many choices and so much hard work to do and hard times to get through. Being gay makes that time much harder, especially for those who aren't yet out or feel that they can't come out and realize their dreams (that's for you, Mikey.)

But I was talking to someone at work yesterday who lamented his age - he's 35! He complained that he can't stay up all night anymore without being tired the next day, and he's having trouble keeping up with his son when they play sports together. I asked him if he exercised regularly and he gave me a dirty look and said no. I thought "Use it or lose it." If you don't exercise and remain active you won't be able to keep up with your kid.

Personally, I'm happy to be 45. I'm settled, with a husband that I love very much, a son that we love, a job that I enjoy (at least most days I enjoy it), a house, and the freedom to make my own decisions. I would not want to go back to my teen years or to be a teen today. I've been there, done that and have NO desire to go back. I don't know why some people think that high school was so great - it was pretty miserable for me. I am glad that it is easier for gay teens today, but "easier" still means that it's very hard.

I don't want to sound negative on being a teen. It can be a great time in life. But it wasn't for me, and I have no nostalgia for it or desire to do it again. So for the teens out there, especially the gay ones, I can say that life can get much better. It certainly has for me.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you. I feel like I'm getting to that well adjusted point, and i really can't complain about my life (current transitions and all).

    But - I wouldn't mind being a teen today, as long as get to keep the increased confidence and knowledge of life that I have now. But the reality is, I'd probably be the same nerdy kid I was back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great that you have such a comfort with your age, it is a true indication that you must be very settled in your life.
    I do yern for my youth a bit, i think it might be age appropriate for me, but I would not trade my life experiences to relive it again.

    Hope you are well.
    www.gayoncemeanthappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete