Friday, March 26, 2010

solo parent for four days

My husband David is in San Diego rowing in the San Diego Crew Classic, his big rowing event for the spring. So I'm a single parent for four days. Well, not really, since Millie, my mother in law, is helping out. I have to be at work before I can drop Leo off at school, so I take him over to Millie and Phil's house, and they later take him to school. They also pick him up after school and take him to their house. Yesterday she even fed him dinner and brought him back to our house. He was showering when I got home, and it still took an hour and a half to get the staller to bed.

David must think that I can't handle Leo on my own, or that I'll forget one of his meds, because he left a list titled "Care and feeding of our son". I'm not clueless, although a reminder of when he takes which med is helpful. Leo's on seven prescription meds and other vitamins and supplements. I know that sounds like a lot for a six year old, and it is, but he has two for his allergies, two for asthma, two for ADHD, and one fluoride supplement.

I'm planning to make it a fun weekend for Leo. He has swimming lessons Saturday morning and a birthday party on Saturday afternoon. I'm planning to go out for pizza Saturday night. I'm thinking about a movie for Sunday afternoon, but as of last weekend there weren't any G rated movies showing in town. I thought about Alice in Wonderland, but I was told that it's not for a six year old. I need a Disney or Pixar movie, but none seem to be playing now. We'll probably go out for Chinese on Sunday night. We honestly rarely eat out, but Leo is hard to cook for, and I don't want to cook and have him look at the food and decide that he won't eat it, which he's done before. Besides, I'll probably need a break after entertaining an energetic six year old all weekend.

I realize that this posting may not be interesting to many of you. But I guess that I'm not here just to entertain, but to share. I do realize that I could be the first out gay man in a long term relationship with a kid that some of you have come across. I know in talking via email to two of you, this is what you want in the future - a husband and a kid or kids. So you can see that my life is routine, but routine can be good, happy and rewarding.

5 comments:

  1. To some it may seem boring, but like you said, someday there are those of us who wish to be where you are now. If nothing else, I read this knowing that someday, I will be able to write about the same situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I hope that you blog about them so that I can remember what it was like when I'm the parent of a teen or college age son. It is fun, but a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How to Train Your Dragon is playing - it's a DreamWorks movie (Shrek and the like). I'm planning on taking my daughter this weekend. But I think it's PG. Check it out.

    I get the stalling before bed thing. My daughter is a pro. She is instantly hungry as soon as we say "time for bed". Without fail. We've stopped allowing her to eat - since she never really is hungry - she just wants more time.

    Hope you guys have an awesome weekend together. Should be fun for both of you!

    -nl

    ReplyDelete
  4. fuck. that sucks that leo has to be on so many percriptions.

    it's definetly cool that you got your mother in law to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @NewLeaf, it's good to hear that Leo isn't the only bedtime staller. Tonight Leo was even worse than usual.

    @buffguy, yeah, I feel like a drug pusher sometimes. But he needs them. I don't know what we would do without David's parents nearby. They are the only people that have ever babysat Leo.

    ReplyDelete