Saturday, March 20, 2010

"Tibet!" at 5 AM, and "You're a cheater pooper-head!"

Today has been interesting. At 5 AM I was awoken by David calling upstairs to Leo and saying "Tibet!" My sleepy brain couldn't figure that out. I wondered "Did some war start in Tibet overnight, or a natural disaster happen? And why discuss it at 5 AM with a six year old at the top of your voice?" Then I heard Leo's bedroom door shut. It took a few more moments as the sleep cleared for it all to make sense. David was leaving to go to his rowing practice, and Leo had awoken. What David had said was "Go back to bed!" (for the fourth time, it turned out), and I had awoken to hear "to bed" which I misinterpreted as "Tibet." Leo did go back to his room, but not to sleep, so we've had a tired boy all day. He took a nap, which is very rare. It became obvious later that he's ill.

Leo has a game that he likes to play with me. I think that it's common with first grade boys, and he calls it "Lolli, Lolli-POP." He uses his index finger to draw circles in the air right in front of my eyes while saying "Lolli, Lolli", then brings his other hand up and claps them together while saying "POP!" The natural reflex to a surprise right in front of your eyes is to blink, and when I do he says "That shows that you're afraid." It only took one time to learn the game, and it's not hard to suppress the blink reflex, so I don't blink now and that frustrates him. After he unsuccessfully tried it on me, he let me try it on him. But instead of circling around his head, I circled around his belly, as if I were about to tickle him. That's when he said "You're a cheater pooper-head!" I've never been called that before.

We also went to the birthday party of Edward, our "godson" - what else do you call a child that you've agreed to raise if both of his parents die? We're not religious, and his parents aren't either, but what other word in English is there for this situation? It was at our local children's science museum. It was a fossil theme party. We looked at fossils, timelines of fossils, and got to pet cockroaches and a snake. It's a nice place and we hope that Leo might wast to have his next party there. We're hoping his party is somewhere indoors since his party is in August, which is too hot here for an outdoor party.

No comments:

Post a Comment