Wednesday, March 17, 2010

wearing green

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone. My mom's family is about half Irish, and I grew up in Savannah, Georgia, which has a big parade and party on St. Patrick's Day each year. The last time that I was there, over 20 years ago, it just seemed to be an excuse for everyone to get drunk though.

So today I'm wearing green - socks, pants, shirt, tie, all in totally different and clashing shades of green. (My husband David told me that if I was wearing green underwear not to show anyone - I once showed my purple underwear when a coworker commented on her purple bra. Do something once and you're labeled forever.) The tie even has shamrocks. Why not go all out?

Speaking of shamrocks, the one thing that drives my mother crazy is people confusing a shamrock and a four leaf clover. The shamrock has three leaves, not four. She's normally quite but anyone who confuses the two gets a lecture from her about the difference and the history of the shamrock. I won't go into it here but you can probably find it on Wikipedia.

I think about my Irish ancestors today. Imagine leaving your home country, never to return, because people were literally starving. But the unbelievable part of the Irish potato famine is that Ireland exported food during that time. The English land owners exported the food grown on their farms, even as the natives were dying. Even today there are areas with large unmarked mass graves from what I saw on a documentary. But there wasn't a mass uprising and war about the situation. Why not? Were my ancestors too meek? Maybe someone who knows more about this can enlighten me.

4 comments:

  1. man i need to see the pics of that outfit .... come on show us please

    mikey

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'll have David take photos if he's awake when I get home. He's sick with sinusitis and decided to have the sinus surgery his ENT offered - his third in the last 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you enjoyed it :)

    www.gayoncemeanthappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete