Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I screwed up

I screwed up big time. David, my husband, is a rower, and his big event for the spring is the San Diego Crew Classic at the end of March. He thought that he was going to fly to San Diego on that Friday and come home on Sunday. Now his coach wants all of the team down there for a practice on Thursday afternoon. That means that his parents would have to pick up our son Leo from school and take him to their house both Thursday and Friday afternoons until I get off work, and they would have to take him to school on Friday morning since I have to leave for work before I can take him to school.

Here's where I screwed up. I have to work one weekend day each month, and I thought that I had requested to be off that weekend. But I just found out that I have to work all that Saturday. So I can either try to trade with someone and have that person work that Saturday and I'll work for him or her another day, or ask my in-laws to watch Leo for a long time. I can't believe that I didn't request the time off.

David isn't happy with his coach right now. She seems to be putting him in the "B" or slower boat, even though he had the second fastest time on the teams' erg or indoor rowing test on rowing machines. He thinks that he should be in the faster boat. I hope that the situation works out for San Diego. He enjoys his trips there and was planning to stay with a friend who will soon be moving to D.C.

3 comments:

  1. you should switch cause you dont want to annoy ur in-laws

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey....thats what grandparents are for, and you never screwed up, you just slipped up :)....hope you are well.

    All my best

    www.gayoncemeanthappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @arodomon: not only that, he should switch to avoid antagonizing his husband further.

    @Bubby: No, no, he screwed up. Not only did he not request the weekend off as per his word, he failed to update the family calendar. I don't update it very much, but the difference is, he gets after me for it.

    But it was based on that apparently not updated calendar that i not only listed my availability on the team's schedule, but committed to trying for a seat on the boat in a first place.

    So it was kind of a twofer, you see.

    Oh well, it'll probably still happen, but it'll be logistically much harder...for him.

    Besides, we're spending a week with his family the very next week, and he knows i'm less than enthusiastic about it. He'll make it right, and there's always the Apple Store and those shiny MacBook Airs, right?

    ReplyDelete