Thursday, February 4, 2010

"youths losing patience with blogging"

That was the headline in the newspaper this morning. A survey showed that younger people aren't blogging was much as they did a few years ago, and aren't commenting as much on blogs that they do read. Older people like me are blogging more now. Younger people are apparently using quicker social media such as Facebook and Twitter.

I hope that young people don't stop blogging. I enjoy reading and commenting on blogs and hearing people's response to my blog. As I told one of my readers, I feel for the younger gay bloggers. I've been where they are at and understand what they are going through, perhaps better than their parents can understand. I call it my "gay uncle" feelings - wanting to help and offer advice if needed. As someone who was a gay closeted teen and is now a parent, I can see both sides.

But I've also learned from blogging. I know much more about hockey than I ever did, thanks to Mikey and Jimmy. I read the suicide note of a 13 year old who almost killed himself when his family didn't handle his coming out well. He's doing better the last time that I read his blog.

Blogging fits me better than Facebook. I'm on Facebook, and accomplished what I set out to do there - I found my best friend from high school. But I also remembered why we lost touch in the first place - he's a flake who doesn't write back. He was the first person that I ever came out to, and his reaction was great -"I know" and it didn't change anything. Thanks Rob.

So keep blogging, no matter what your age.

8 comments:

  1. Twitter is changing the world - but maybe not for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im going to keep blogging. its a release that i am not sure i will ever be able to give up

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Leaf, I've never even wanted to tweat, if that's the word. A quick "I'm doing this now" is less interesting than an organized post later.

    Travis, I agree. I've kept a journal since 1991 but find that I'm not writing in it much now, I'm blogging instead. I enjoy your blog by the way and should comment more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God I hope Tweeting doesn't go anywhere, i heard the other day that it was slowing down because people are just two consumed with updating to many social networking sites. I don't know why but I have no interest in following celebrities but I am totally interested in following peoples' blogs. Some make me sad and some of the everyday triumphs in peoples lives make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Scott.

    I agree. My husband is on Facebook daily but it's not for me, I prefer blogs.

    Do you have a blog? I couldn't find one for you. I find it interesting to read the blogs of people who comment on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry, it is sean, i just corrected the name issue so it should show my profile now. Scott is my lesser half.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, don't let him hear that, you won't get any for weeks! lol.

    I feel much the same way about organized religion that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is so me. I agree with you 100%, and I've seen the articles. But there's a lot of young people out there, and they certainly need the support of us older gay guys...in short, quiet comments, and in reading happy, positive blogs like yours.

    I found some old friends from HS on FB, and keep in contact with some others there, too, so it has its place. But my blogging is such freedom to be me...

    Jay in VA

    ReplyDelete