Tuesday, February 2, 2010

yes, you can wear your tie outside to play

David bought Leo a red necktie to wear to his grandparents' wedding, and he also wore it to his greatgrandfather's memorial service. (As an aside, kids' ties have improved since I was a kid. Leo's has a zipper built into it, so we just pull down the zipper which makes the loop for his neck larger, slip it on his neck, the pull up on the zipper and it's done.) Leo likes the tie and begged us to wear it to school before the wedding. We said no, but now he can wear it whenever he wants. He doesn't wear it with his t-shirts, so he wears his long sleeve button up shirts with it. On Sunday he was running around outside in sneakers, his black long pants that are half of his suit, a blue oxford shirt, and his red necktie. This is while he was running about with the other kids in the street. He was the best dressed kid out there.

I can understand that he wants to dress up on occasion. I can remember when my parents bought a suit for me when I was in kindergarten that I wanted to wear it to school. I thought that men in suits got lots of attention, and thought that I would get as much attention as Monty Hall on "Let's Make a Deal". Yes, I watched way too much television as a child, and he was the only man that I saw wearing a suit. I guess that I wanted more attention as a child.

1 comment:

  1. My dad worked in the garment industry as an industrial engineer. When I was 14, he moved to a maker of "Fine Gentlemen's Clothing". I gained a clothing allowance. To say I was the best dressed kid at church is an understatement. Imagine 14 and a different suit every two or three weeks. When I had moved away from home many years later, my mother insisted I go through my old closet and "take the clothes you want or I'm taking them to Goodwill". Needless to say, there were some well dressed kids wearing old styles the next week!

    Jay in VA
    (are you rolling your eyes yet? some of us are slow to catch on, and catch up, but can't help but comment on cool blogs!)

    ReplyDelete