Sunday, January 31, 2010

hands




Today I decided to show photos of my hand below and David's hand on the right. My hand has a "tattoo" of a dinosaur that Leo drew on my left palm. He wanted to give me a tattoo as I was cooking dinner last night. I thought that my palm would be a safe place, since it probably wouldn't last long there given how often I wash my hands. What I didn't anticipate was how much drawing on my palm would tickle, which was surprising since I'm not that ticklish. I kept laughing and squirming, which frustrated Leo a little. The artwork would have turned out much better I'm sure if I could have stayed still.

David's hand above is the result of his rowing. He always has calluses or blisters. The large one that is fresh he insists is due to poor technique at yesterday morning's row - holding the oar handle too tightly and some other problem. He says that if he had proper technique he wouldn't have blisters. I think that that is b*llsh*t since every rower I've ever met has damaged hands. I think that they wear it as a badge of honor. David added that when Leo saw his new blister Leo asked "Does it hurt?" and immediately jabbed his finger into it. David responded, "Yes it hurts, don't touch it."

You may also notice our matching wedding rings. We bought them just before the first anniversary of our first date, at the Whole Earth Festival in Davis, California. (Whole Earth was started in 1970 and features bands, homemade crafts, vegetarian food and what David calls "organo-groovy" people, causes and ideas.) He decided that we should have rings since we had been together for almost a year, so we bought each others' for $16 each. He said at the time that we should think of them as "promise rings" since same sex marriage and domestic partnerships were years away. Later he admitted that he just wanted me to wear one so that others would know that I was taken and off limits. He didn't need to worry, I wasn't going to stray, and it's not like I had other guys after me. When we got married legally in 2008 he brought up buying new rings, but I said no way. We had worn the rings for 16 years by then and I was very attached to them and didn't want some new rings.

5 comments:

  1. Through everything that I have been through, the one thing I never did was take off my wedding ring.

    Love the drawing...

    www.gayoncemeanthappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that matching rings thing is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bubby and Arodomon. My ring is something that I treasure. For Christmas David bought me a ring for my right ring finger with the engraving "I (heart) XX (David's initials)" and "1991", the year that we met and first started dating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome about keeping the rings, they have more meaning if you've had them a while. We've never worn rings the 20 years we've been together, matter of fact I've always hated wearing any kind of jewelry barring a watch. So when we got married last summer we ordered stainless steal rings for 8 bucks because things were kind of tight at the time with the understanding we would get nicer ones later but I don't think I need anything more, these work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Sean, the cost of the rings never matters, but they become valuable to us because of what they represent.

    ReplyDelete