Saturday, January 16, 2010

am I proud to be an American?

I have been thinking about this topic since Michelle Obama said something about when her husband was elected, it was the first time that she felt proud to be an American. She was criticized by the right wing, but I completely understood what she meant. It is hard to be proud of your country when your ancestors have been enslaved, then "freed" but denied basic rights, lynched, discriminated against, etc.

So I started to think about my feelings about being an American. Perhaps I take too much for granted, and I realize that so many parts of the world don't have much of what Americans and other Westerners enjoy. But I can see where America falls short.

For me, it starts with how gays, lesbians and others who don't conform to rigid gender stereotypes are treated. I am treated as a second class citizen in my own country in many ways. I am denied recognition of my marriage and am legally a stranger to my husband in all but a handful of states; I could be fired from my job based on my sexual orientation in many states; my right to be considered for adoption wouldn't be allowed in some states; I can't serve in the military, not that I would want to, but I should have that option. So based on that, I'm not proud of my country's treatment of minorities.

But I am proud of some things my country has done. The defense of Europe during and after World War II was the right thing to do. Democracy has many problems, but it seems better than most other forms of government, so I'm glad that the US has spread democracy.

I can think of many things my country does wrong. Our government is much too militaristic - how many wars have we been in just during my lifetime? Vietnam, the Balkans, Iraq twice, Afghanistan, etc. Why do we still have troops in Korea over 50 years after fighting stopped? Why do we have military stationed all over the world? We are not the world's policeman. We spend more than the rest of the world combined on our military. That money is desperately needed for other priorities. Why does the US get involved in almost any conflict everywhere? Has the government heard of imperial overreach?

I think in many ways I have more of a European mindset than an American one. Americans have kept too much of the settler mentality, the "I'm going to find a piece of land for myself, and screw the rest of you." We don't seem to have the social cohesiveness that other countries do. The social safety net is full of holes. And insults and yelling are standard instead of calm discussions.

Our democracy has so many problems, most based on money. The candidate that raises the most money wins something like 95% of all elections. Corporate interests seem to rule our government, because they provide the money to win elections.

I can't leave out the role of religion in the US. The US got many of the religious fanatics that left Europe. (Why couldn't we just have gotten the prisoners like Australia did? They got the better end of the deal.) Many of those fanatics were extremely intolerant of others' religious beliefs. So many people base their voting on their religion, which is their right, but this is not a theocracy. You don't have the right to impose your religion or religious beliefson anyone else, even via the ballot box.

I do hope that some things are improving. Gay rights have advanced much during my lifetime. Perhaps when gays and lesbians have all the rights of other Americans thoughout the country I will finally be proud of my country, just as Michelle Obama was.

7 comments:

  1. amen brother! The pride i have in this country is bound to its past. The leaps and bounds that have moved this country forward in a way to benefit the people have happened in the past, nothing significant has happened recently, nothing since LBJ. I'm sorry to rail so hard but i live in MA right now where a teabag republican is about to be elected to office, to fill Ted Kennedy's seat. I used to be against saying this but i ca'nt not say it anymore, there are a lot of stupid people in this country and the stupid ones are easily angered and so rallied, they are a more dependable vote. Even if it means voting against their self interest they rally. You can't get one of them to state that their taxes have ever been reduced when a republican as been in office, they are just stupid freaking douche bags. I have a bumper sticker on my care and it reads "tax the church", i am sick and tired of weak and stupid people that rely on organized religeon to tell them what to think. To tell them what sections of what bible to focus on, usually the parts that allow them to identify and bring hatred upon a certain segment of society, they always need an enemy. Sorry to rail but i have been sitting on this same subject internally for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so not proud on many levels to be american. You hit on a large part of them. But I think we are regressing not moving forward. On a lot of fronts. Wish it wasn't so , but look around. We have become to much a service industry. We have lost a lot of producing our own products. Isn't that what happen to Spain...That said we do have the best public system in the world, next to none . But it needs our attention. We need a change... Think our government has become to powerful. For the people by the people is a joke now... All about money.... That said wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. You weren't railing Sean. So many people are just unaware. They've never really thought about so many issues.

    Lee, I think that I could live in the Netherlands (which seemed very nice when I visited), or Sweden, one of the more progressive European countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I've traveled abroad and pretended to be a Canadian (when Bush II was in office).

    I could live in another country. Definitely could live in Britain or France. Actually - I think I could live almost anywhere. I've spent extended periods in other countries and usually felt right at home. Plus I have relatives in other parts of the world, and some of them have been shocked at the lack of services provided here.

    We've fallen behind so many other countries in things like primary education and public health. As far as education is concerned - the industry I work in (technology), we import employees from other countries because it's hard to find American born candidates with the required education.

    You mentioned the flinging of insults. Yeah - this is getting us nowhere fast. Actually - it's getting us deeper in a hole. I don't know what's happening here, but some of these political news commentators have gone insane. I think comparing someone to Hitler or Stalin is crossing the line. I guess it motivates their viewer base - but what is really happening here? There also seems to be a violent undercurrent present. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can say that I am proud to be a South Africa, yes we still have a road to travel, but at least we have learn't from our grave mistakes and history and now have an all accepting constitution.
    We are 1 of only 7 countries to allow Gay Marriage. I believe Gay marriage is not simply to do with the legality of it, but rather the recognition that Gay people also have a right to live a whole life and in often order to do that the possibility of a "Family Unit" and being recognized legally as such is vital in achieving this. Most of all it is a right of choice.
    I don't think i would ever want to marry again, but I would like to know that the choice is mine to make should i wish to marry a man.

    www.gayoncemeanthappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Bubby, I've admired how much change South Africa made in such a relatively short time. Nelson Mandela has been outspoken in support for equal rights for all, including gays and lesbians.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HEAR HEAR!! To the post and the comments.
    All spot on.
    Jay in VA

    ReplyDelete