Thursday, January 14, 2010

waking up my son

This morning I again had the pleasure of waking my six year old son Leo up. It really is a pleasure. Seeing my cute son laying there asleep, and starting to talk to him to wake him up is nice. He moves around, smacks his mouth some, raises an arm but it gradually falls back down. He is a heavy sleeper - he must have inherited that from me. (That's a joke, he's adopted. But he looks a little like my husband David. Leo's birthmother picked us to be Leo's parents in part because she thought that David looked like Leo's birthfather.) He often partially wakes up, then rolls over and drifts back to sleep. It's really cute. This is something that I probably wouldn't have appreciated before I became a parent. Becoming a parent really does change you in so many ways that you don't even realize.

I want to add to the gay guys reading this that you can become a parent too. (or at least you can in most US states. I don't know about South Africa, Australia, the UK or other countries where some of you are living.) There are lots of kids out there who need parents. We know several couples who adopted through the foster care system, although we didn't go that route.

6 comments:

  1. Hey timely, i just started posting about our adoption experience. I'm going to try and cover everything while trying not drag up anything painful for them. With all the good, we have dealt with a lot of pain and hurdles. Thanks for checking out my blog, I really appreciate it. Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it came up as WearGuard, this is Sean from http://www.pinkshanty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sean. I'll probably post about our adoption sometime. Glad to see other gay dads here.

    I also hope for the best in Massachusetts' legal challenge to the part of the Defense of Marriage Act that allows the federal government to ignore our marriages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a lot of parents that adopt, have nothing but respect for yall. Parenting sure does change you for the better.... Love reading about you travels in parenthood, miss my little guy... damn it he has gotten big. So agree always hope adoption rocks. Love knows no boundaries. All kids want is to be love, and secure environment to grow in.... Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to hear the parenting stories- and look forward to hearing more about the adventures that come from it- especially relevent to your individual experience as a gay couple doing so.

    I do think that eventually I want to embark upon that journey- but just not quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lee and hb9. Parenting is great, and I try to remember that he won't be little for long. I knew that I had to be a parent after my maternal grandmother died, but it was six years later that my son was born.

    ReplyDelete