Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I'm married to...Roseanne, and six year old thinking

Today David had his laptop at the table, and he said that he was taking an online quiz titled something like "What television mother are you?" Without thinking, I said "You're Roseanne." David does have a sarcastic side. He took the quiz, looked at me and said "I hate you." Because the quiz told him that he was...Roseanne. When he read aloud the description of a Roseanne mom, I said "Yep, that's you." He couldn't really disagree.

Yesterday we went to the only kids' shoe store in town to buy Leo a pair of black dress shoes for his greatgrandfather's funeral and his grandparents' wedding. Well, such shoes weren't available. So the best that we could do were tennis shoes in black with silver trim. But he wanted navy blue ones instead, so we bought those. This way he will wear them more than twice, so we came out ahead. He also saw kids' umbrellas and asked for one. We're in the rainy season here in California's Mediterranean climate, and there is rain forecast for the next week, plus he doesn't have one. So he has a new umbrella. I took him to school today in the rain, so the perfect time to use his umbrella. But no, he didn't want to use his new umbrella, and the reason that he gave was that he DIDN'T WANT HIS NEW UMBRELLA TO GET WET! I explained that that was the point to an umbrella, it gets wet so that he stays dry. No, he still didn't want his new umbrella to get wet. This was after we were walking from the car to school. So I had to carry his backpack and his umbrella while holding my umbrella to stay dry. At what age does logic start to appear?

We were told yesterday that Leo will be an engineer when he grows up. He had a playdate with the son of the couple that we're closest to (we met them when both couples were adopting), and he helped his friend and the friend's mother fix a difficult to assemble toy. The friend's mother is an engineer herself, and she said that he definitely has an aptitude for engineering. I know that he enjoys fixing things and taking them apart. We have a trash can that has a foot pedal to open the lid, and it came apart this weekend. I didn't feel like stopping as I was cooking to fix it, so I just told Leo that it was broken and within about 10 minutes he had studied the mechanism, recognized the problem, and fixed it. He does have ADHD, but he's been mechanical since he was a toddler. How many toddlers walk around with a screwdriver in their hand looking for something to take apart? Leo did.

2 comments:

  1. I had a pair of bright (I am talking BRIGHT) blue Wellies when I was a kid and adamantly refused to wear them outside for fear of getting them dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was Leo growing up. The curiosity led to a career in tech theatre, and radio/television engineering. He could have a worse hobby! HOORAY for LEO!
    Jay in VA

    ReplyDelete