Sunday, January 24, 2010

my inlaws are married again

Today my inlaws, Millie and Phil, got married for the second time, 44 years after their first marriage and 29 years after their divorce. It was a brief ceremony during the early morning service at their Lutheran church. The retired priest who counseled them before and after their divorce performed the ceremony. There was a reception afterward in the church hall, then family and close friends went back to their house. We picked up food from the catering service of a local grocery store so that everyone would have something to snack on before dinner. It was good to see everyone in the family, and many of their friends spoke to me. They knew who I was, and many of them looked familiar from prior parties, but I didn't know who most of them were and didn't want to say "Who are you?" so I made small talk. Leo did well playing with the only other kid there.

I did note one humorous detail. Millie and Phil each have separate bedrooms, as they have since they moved back in together. They have Millie's best friend spending the night, and her son rents a room from Millie and Phil, and her other son is sleeping in the fourth bedroom. So that leaves the best friend to sleep in Millie's king sized bed with Millie. I pointed out to Millie and Phil that she'll be sleeping with someone other than her new husband on her wedding night. They both smiled at that. I don't know if they are still having sex or not, nor do I want to know.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is amazing to me, that they were able to still pick each other after all of that. I guess if I have learn't anything through my journey, it is that every one can create their own rules as to what makes their marriage work.

    Wishing them all the best.

    www.gayoncemeanthappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I joined the family in 1991, 10 years after their divorce, I told David that they were the closest divorced couple that I had ever met. They went on vacations together, even driving 2000+ miles in a minivan. If they can do that they can live together again. They're each more mature and can communicate better than the first time around from what they say.

    ReplyDelete