Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I'm coming out

Part of my past made sense today, 30 years later. I was listening to Mikey's interview on Ben and Dave's Six Pack, and while waiting for the interview, I heard "I'm Coming Out." In 1980 I bought a Diana Ross record that had the single "I'm Coming Out" on it. I was 15 and had never heard that phrase before (I know you younger guys are laughing, but gay issues just weren't talked about then like they are now, at least not in Georgia where I grew up.) I played it over and over, and could tell that my mom never liked me to play it. I couldn't figure out why at the time, but today it dawned on me. Maybe I was sending signals even at 15.

2 comments:

  1. lol i read the post this morning as i was getting my day going- and now it has been in my head ever since. I even caught myself singing it as I was walking through the office a bit ago! ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if a song has to be stuck in your head, that one isn't too bad. I had a Christmas carol stuck in mine the other day and it wouldn't go away.

    ReplyDelete