Tuesday, January 12, 2010

he's farting at me

A few days ago I was in my son Leo's room as he was getting dressed after his shower. He bent over, and as he did, a fart popped out. I was nearby, so I said "Are you farting at me?" He turned around and saw the smile on my face, then he smiled too and said "Yes", although I know that it was accidental. A few minutes later I felt a fart coming, so I said "Leo, do I have something on the back of my shirt?" Being the good kid that he his, he looked at my lower shirt where I was pointing, and I let the fart rip, right at him. Very juvenile, I know, but when you're around a six year old you sometimes revert to childhood. He thought that it was funny, and once you do something once with Leo he wants to do it over and over again. So now he'll come and get close to me every time he has a fart coming. I didn't know that I was starting a family tradition, LOL.

Another funny family story relating to farts (no, my family doesn't always talk about farts.) My mother told me that she read "The Catcher in the Rye" and when she came to the scene where someone gets into trouble for farting in church, she didn't know what the word fart meant! She looked it up in the dictionary and it wasn't there! It was the 1950s, which was a repressed time. She also told me that she once got into trouble with her father for laughing when her little brother farted. I asked her what word she used if she didn't use the word "fart", and she said that there just wasn't a word for it. I asked her,"Well what did you do when you wanted to talk about it?" and she said that they never talked about things like that! Can you believe being so repressed that you can't talk about normal bodily functions? Well, some people today can't talk about homosexuality, so it isn't very different.

8 comments:

  1. Cute story. I always blame the cat, but my daughter caught on a few years ago.

    My grandmother hated the word fart. We knew what it meant, but we had to say fluff, because she thought it sounded better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I found this, round about way through Towelweroad and Hockeykid. I've been flirting with starting a blog just for journal purposes mainly. We adopted two sibling boys in 2000 who are now 16 and 14. They are beautiful and they mean more to me than most everything, I would do almost everything for them but I've drawn that line at a drivers license for the 16 year old. Among other things he is very adhd and the thought of getting that call, well I don't know if I could handle it. Anyway I didn't mean to ramble, and thanks for the read and keep it up. Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. NewLeaf, I'd never heard it referred to a "fluff" before. Could you say that without laughing. It gives new meaning to fluffing the bed!

    Welcome seandmc. I checked out your blog and seem to be your first follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As in rome do as the romans ... lol ..I saw this in the morning , have to tell you brought back so good memories and laught about it all day... ..... my son is thirteen now. so yeah farts still rock... ..wasn't allowed to say fart... lol we passed gas .. was like no mom we fart... you may pass gas because your old ,but we fart proudly and loudly ( well you did say if you going to do something do it well ) ... lol didn't go down to well lol ... but it didn't stop us from farting ... yep rather talk about it or not it there.and still happens. Silence is deadly ....lol............thanks man love you blog btw glad you have join mine .... don't know how I missed you But glad I found you now ... Lee ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, funny story! In Polish, the word "fart" translates roughly to "baking air biscuits." We have no idea what the etymological origins of that were, though... Regardless, N- and I joke around about "baking air biscuits" now if we've had a particularly cheesy or bean-filled meal. It's just another part of life.

    Sadly, my nickname when I was an infant and toddler was "Thunderbritches." I'll let you figure out the reason behind that one, though. My parents still bring that one up... sheesh.

    Take care!

    Sincerely,
    Thunderpants
    -M-

    aka: "cueball"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got that one beat, cueball. My dad called me "fart blossom."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess we are learning from the mistakes of the past, i was just writing about that. Children should be comfortable being able to express themselves openly and honestly within the home, it is wonderful that you have given your son a safe place to feel vulnerable.

    www.gayoncemeanthappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I hope that he can talk to us about anything. I also insisted on using correct anatomical names for body parts. I want to save him the embarrassment that I had in sixth grade when the word "penis" was used and I didn't know what the word meant! Thanks Mom and Dad for using a ridiculous name instead so that I don't know my own body parts.

    ReplyDelete