Sunday, January 10, 2010

a chick flick on a Sunday afternoon

Today my husband David and I went to see The Young Victoria. We tend to like "chick flicks" over action movies. David grew up watching lots of PBS since that was either the only channel that they could get or the only one he was allowed to watch, I'm not sure which, and he has an affinity for British movies. Plus he is a historian by training, so he like historical movies - except when the moviemakers get something wrong, which he will always points out. We enjoyed it. It was a love story about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. I thought that the actor playing Albert's brother was cuter though. The screenwriter also wrote Gosford Park, another good Brit chick flick from 2001.

The next movie that we want to see is A Single Man which is already out but not here yet. So we like chick flicks and gay movies. When I was younger I would have felt embarrassed about that, because it seemed too stereotypical or "too gay." Now I am old enough and sure of myself enough that I don't care. I like what I like. I can remember refusing to see anything artistic or cultural until I was in my mid 20s because I wasn't comfortable enough with being gay to allow myself to do anything that seemed gay. (Well, except having gay sex! I could do that but not attend a play? The closet can be so suffocating.) That's an advantage to being 45 - I know who I am and don't care if others don't approve.

4 comments:

  1. Lmao ... sucks in the closet ... no doubt. Glad you got to get out ... Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love British movies, too. Gosford Park was really good. I haven't seen Young Victoria yet.

    I always found gay movies intriguing, for obvious reasons. I recently saw Shelter (which I think you recommended) - and it was really really good. But too many gay movies are depressing. It seems that they always portray the gay characters as self destructive, or on a violent death spiral. And if not that, then they just can't seem to make a relationship work. Kind of sends the wrong message - especially to younger gay people.

    I did the same thing - always avoiding movies that guys thought were "gay". Now I don't care - but it's much easier now with NetFlix. Haha. But even beyond that - I could care less what anyone thinks about my movie or music taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's almost the same for us, except swap out chick flicks for horror flicks. There's all sorts of stuff in my NetFlix queue but horror and gay movies are definitely the most represented. I posted a sizable list of gay movies on a message board for LGBT heavy metal fans around a year ago, broken down into sections from Recommended to Musts to Avoid. Other posters made additional recommendations, too. Of course, it's been a while, so we've seen more since but the only one I can think of offhand is Ready? OK!, which was very sweet and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I looked at your list Mr. HCI and agreed with most of the ones that I had seen. I didn't think Edge of Seventeen was that bad though.

    There are now also lots of good to semi-good gay books/romances out there. Many are from small publishers and some only publish on ebooks, but that's another source of gay stories.

    ReplyDelete