Friday, January 22, 2010

sucked into the crazy, and 5 kiwis

My inlaws are getting remarried in two days, so the craziness has begun. My mother-in-law is a good person, but she procrastinates, then panics right before something has to be done and rushes around like a mad woman. I try to avoid her before one of her parties. She wouldn't listen to David's good advice that she shouldn't cook for about 15 people just after her wedding, or make the family wait from about 9:30, when the service will be over, to 1 PM when she'll serve dinner. Most of that time she'll be in the kitchen cooking. Buying trays of food would be so much simplier. Now she's frantic, calling David twice within five minutes last night. I offered to help but he said "Do you really want to be sucked into the crazy?" No, I don't.

Leo has limited the variety of food that he eats, as kids his age do. He would live on macaroni and cheese, ravioli and tortellini if we let him. Recently David made him try a fruit or vegetable before he could have anything else and gave him a kiwi. Leo loved it and wanted more, so we bought a bulk pack at Costco. Yesterday he ate five, including three for breakfast. He got David mad though when he said at dinner "I'm ready for my kiwi now." David explained that our home isn't a restaurant, and David isn't a short order cook, so asking nicely for a kiwi is more appropriate. At least he's eating a fruit.

3 comments:

  1. I love your little anecdotes about Leo. He sounds like a great kid.

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me laugh. I can't tell you how many times the restaurant comment has come out of my mouth but it is usually because they think they don't want to try something new and they request something else and that doesn't fly around here. Take care, Sean

    ReplyDelete